Up to 15% off when purchasing online

Good to know

  • What to do when selling a vehicle

      When selling your vehicle, make sure to inform the insurer before the sales transaction. Overpaid insurance premiums will be refunded in full.

  • What should be done upon a loss event?

      Upon a traffic accident, please call our customer service telephone 622 4599 and you will be given the initial guidelines as to what to do next and what the best course of action is. If you wish, we will send our representative to the scene of the accident, and they will assist you on the site and even provide for the transport of the car and the passengers.

      Some general guidelines:

      • The first thing is to always ensure the safety of people. If people have been injured as a result of the occurred event, immediately notify the Rescue Board and proceed as instructed.
      • In case of a traffic accident, register the event pursuant to the applicable legislation. Fill in the application “Notice of traffic accident”. If the parties to the accident cannot agree on who is to blame or the injured party is unknown, the police must be called to the scene of the accident.
      • In case of theft, theft of a vehicle, robbery or an act of vandalism, notify the police straight away and proceed as instructed.
      • In case of a fire, notify the Rescue Board immediately and proceed as instructed.
      • Try to keep in mind or, even better, write down as much about the circumstances of the accident and take as many photographs as possible – the registration number of the other vehicle, the address of the site of the accident, the contact details of the witnesses, etc.
      • Take all reasonable steps to ensure that the damage incurred does not increase – cover broken windows with plastic film and transport the immobile vehicle to a safe place (a repair shop, car park or home).
      • Inform the Environmental Inspectorate on 1313 of any deceased or injured large game (elk, roe deer, red deer, wolves, bears, lynx or wild boars) on a highway.
      • Inform the Traffic Information Centre on 1510 of any deceased or injured small game on roads.
      • Inform the local government of any injured or deceased animals in the city or in an urban community.
      • Notify the insurance company of the damage as soon as possible.

  • Changes in contact details

      If you have changed your telephone number, place of residence or e mail address, please call the PZU customer service telephone 622 4599 or e-mail info[at]pzu.ee to register the change.

PZU is AB "Lietuvos draudimas" Estonian Branch trademark in Estonia. AB "Lietuvos draudimas" is Lithuanian insurance company, that is part of the international PZU Group. Before entering into an insurance contract, please examine the terms and conditions or dial +372 622 4599 for additional information.